Tuesday 13 March 2007

Abergwesyn

It was a bright and
sunny day,
towards Abergwesyn
I was headed that way.

I reached that small hamlet
and headed through the pass,
cycling towards the Devil's staircase
was in a different class.

The road was narrow
and utterly steep,
slowly up it
I would creep.

Once over it
there were two different
roads to take,
either to Llandovery
or Tregaron,
but instead I
took a break.

The landscape was
amazingly wild,
but thank goodness
the weather was mild.

The Drovers used to move
their cattle along that narrow
stretch of road,
where small streams
into a river have flowed.

During the Winter
it must be untamed
and bleak,
the snow's lasting
far longer than a week.

So there I was cycling
through Abergwesyn,
so many hills to
make it there,
that they just wouldn't lessen.

But what I saw
stirred my heart
and inspired the mind,
cycling through landscapes
that could otherwise
be hard to find.

No comments: